August 12, 2011

First Trimester

In the past, I've been clueless about pregnancies. The more I read about pregnancy, the more I realize the process of a woman going through pregnancy is a pure miracle. It's just incomprehensible the amount of changes the woman's body goes through in order to become a natural incubator for another human being. It's like the biggest construction project going on within a human. 


Up to 60% of the human body is made up of water. When pregnant, the body needs to contain 30% more water! It also has to to build all the tissues necessary for the baby as well as the placenta, water sac and food to hold, protect and sustain the baby.


I've also realized from talking to other more experienced mothers around me is that every woman experiences a different pregnancy. Some are better, some not so pleasant. But one thing I don't understand is how every woman agrees that as soon as the baby is born, the joy is so overwhelming that something extraordinary occurs. They forget all the discomforts and inconveniences of the pregnancy, including the pain of childbirth. It's like nature's way of moving on and miraculously forgetting the less important things in life and focusing on the biggest miracle of life. I find myself asking girl friends if they disliked being pregnant and they would say no but once I asked describing a specific discomfort, they respond, "Oh yeah, now that you mentioned it, yes I did. But it will go away. When the baby is born you'll forget everything that happened those 10 months". Call me a skeptic but I don't understand it and I don't really believe it. I guess I'll find out soon..


I've just completed the last day of my first trimester and let me tell you, I am GLAD it's over.  I'm so over the nausea, dizziness, feeling bloated, metallic taste on my tongue, hot and cold flashes, insomnia and worst of all, the craziest mood swings. Apparently, the second trimester is when the body is the most 'normal'. It's such a luxury to be able to sleep through the night instead of waking up at 3am or 4am and not be able to sleep again though I'm tired. It's so nice not to feel like I need a 2 to 3 hour nap every 2 hours. I'm not much of a muncher so I'm relieved that I'm no longer having the craving to munch on some food every hour. On the flip side, my breasts ache from the constant blooming and my libido is skyrocketing, much to Elton's delight. I guess it's nature's way of balancing out the pros and cons between husbands and wives while going through this traumatic change.  

2 comments:

  1. wow Sandy..congrtulations!! Second trimester is the best time, you should enjoy it to the max and do whatever you want (as long as not hazardous).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, girlfriend! I'm trying. How were your pregnancies? Do you remember much?

    ReplyDelete