August 16, 2011

The Proposal




the lei Elton presented the ring to me with. It's made of Pikake, a local Jasmine flower, my favorite 
The proposal. Such a simple word but so complex in meaning, filled with nervous hope and future dreams. I've heard of many kinds before from close friends. Some were simple and conversational decisions. Others, unexpected surprises - some funny, some heart warming. I always thought mine would be a mutual decision. I'd found the man I know I'd like to be with for the rest of my life. I felt it doesn't really matter anymore, especially at this age. But today, Elton surprised me today in a way I never expected. 

We were leaving for Chicago tomorrow so we had both just finished packing and preparing to get to the airport the next morning at 4:30am. I was exhausted. Just as I jumped into bed, I realized there was still a mound of laundry sitting on the bed. Slightly irritated, and feeling a migraine coming on, I began folding, looking forward to the moment I could crash onto the bed and check out for the night. Elton walked in to the room and said he needed to go to the airport to see an old friend Miko from Japan, who was in transit for 10 minutes and wanted to meet me. I muttered, "Sorry, I'm too tired. You go ahead." He began begging me to go. Each time, I refused. This went on for about 15 minutes. Then suddenly, he got on his knees, took out the most beautiful ring I'd seen and said, "Would you marry me?". Dumbfounded, I stared at him. Then he explained that he had wanted to take me to the airport's International terminal and propose to me there, where we had first met when I landed in Hawaii. For the first time ever, I was speechless. I couldn't find the right words to say as all kinds of emotions welled up within me. For some reason, I just threw my arms around him and just began to sob. "I guess it's a Yes then?", he said. I just laughed. We laughed for a while. Then I pleaded with him to take me to the airport and propose to me again in front of people on his knees. To my exasperation, he said, "Nah! You spoilt the moment already!". 

It's funny how sometimes, we are unaware of the things that really can break us down until it actually happens. It was a simple moment. But I have never felt so much love for someone at that moment. God has been so good to me bringing someone into my life at a time I least expected it. I guess the best moments often happens when we least expect it.

4 comments: