March 01, 2011

Learning from Children

Children are precious. Since I started working, I've never really thought much about kids, being more interested in my career. Lately however, I've been spending a lot of time with Jesse's daughter, Kaile. She's a wise old soul with a fierce intelligence and rambunctious spirit for a six year old. Yet, she's still a kid. She can be willy and naughty, and sometimes, even lies outright to get what she wants. But I learn so much from her. 
Kaile (pronounced 'Kylie')

Kids are all about relationship. It's not about the money. It's not about dolling up and they're not that impressed with what you own. It's about the time you spend with them. That's what they really remember. 

Kids are often more perceptive than adults. They can see through people. They know when you're really interested in them or if you just want to use them or if you just don't really care. You can't fake interest with kids. They just know. And if they don't yet, they will. Sooner than you think. They just won't necessarily tell you.

Kids don't hold grudges. They don't poison themselves with festering thoughts of trying to punish people for hurting them. But they are sensitive enough to feel hurt.

Kids cry when they are hurt. They don't keep it all pent up inside until one day when the dam breaks and things from 2 years ago comes out!

In her eyes, love is so simple. She loves simply and forgives simply. I want to always love like that. So purely, so unconditionally. To be nonjudgmental. To see things for what they are appreciate it right there. Living each day for itself. Enjoying every moment for what it is without having to qualify it first.
She toyed with my camera trying to find the right focal length for this plumeria!
Kaile trying hard to take a picture of the textures on this hibiscus. Even adults often fail to take notice of such beauty!
Kaile is one of the most thoughtful person I've met in my life. I met her on skype one day when I was skyping with Elton. When she heard that I was visiting, she immediately said, "We need to get another chair for Aunty Sandy!" We didn't quite get it until a few seconds later when we realized she was talking about the dinner table!


Sometimes, I forget she's a child. She's like a little person with her own thoughts and ideas.
Perhaps it's age. Perhaps as we transition into adulthood, we see too much injustice or felt too much pain and lose the child in us. I've forgotten how beautiful it is to see the world through the eyes of a child. I think it's one of the simplest way to find happiness in this world. We adults have so much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment