May 04, 2011

Planting A Vegetable garden

I'm turning into a farmer girl the last month. Burying my nose in articles on pest control, invasive plants, planting techniques and harvesting timing. I seem to have discovered my love for cultivating fresh vegetables from my very own garden. 


For the past three weeks, we've been overhauling our entire yard to turn it into a vegetable and fruit garden which hasn't been kept for the past 2 years or so. In the process, besides discovering how tiring gardening can be, I'm learning so much about how long it takes for veggies to mature(about 3-5 weeks), which bugs are predatory and which are actually helpful for the plant, . Yet, it's really fulfilling to see it coming together. It's involved pulling out weeds, cutting the grass, cutting down two massive palm trees which really almost broke our backs because the root was so thick and expansive. Then went out and got a bunch of wood for Elton to build a planter box to plant our veggies in.


For now, I've planted a bunch of bok choi, pak choi, choi sum, bell peppers, cabbage, green bean,  bitter mellon, tomatoes, snowpeas, eggplant, zucchini, squash, cucumber, chili and I even have a herb patch where I've planted rosemary, thyme, sweet basil, thai basil, oregano, peppermint, spearmint, dill, chives and lavender. We also have some fruit trees like papaya, lemon and lime. I cannot wait for them to mature so we can eat from our garden.



My herb patch with mint, peppermint, thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil, lavender, dill and sage. 

our nursery of seedlings before planting in the ground
zucchini plants
bittermelon
mustard cabbage


beefsteak tomato vine
sweet potato
purple eggplant
Thai basil

No comments:

Post a Comment