April 02, 2011

Judd and Nuuanu Trail hike



My adventurous side kicked in again today and I needed another break from routine so I decided to get out into the wild again and explore another part of O'ahu. This time, I tried to find the trail head to the Nu'uanu trail. One thing about the trails and surf spots in Hawaii is they're quite non-descript and low key. Unless you have some access to some local, you could pass it and never know it was there. The trails are often not well marked. Again, I referred to my trusty favorite Hiking trail guide online. Apparently this trail is quite a hard one to do but I was ready for the challenge. The last couple days had been pouring rain all day and I was itching out get out for some fresh air. There's two ways to get to the Nu'uanu trail but it is really elusive. I decided to take the Judd trail, a trail that goes in a circle but connects to the Nu'uanu trail.
Judd trail starts here but I had to cross over these river rocks first
Thankfully the rocks weren't as slippery as they looked and the water level was just below the rocks. The journey begins. The Judd trail started with a beautiful bed of bamboo which knocked against each other as the wind blew. I kept looking around, thinking someone was coming through the trees.  I've never heard knocking like that before in a forest.
Bamboo forest
Not sure what trees these are but good light and non mosquito infested as the tropical forest deeper in
stairwell of roots on Judd trail
I drove out to Pali Nuuanu Drive. After quite a while, I found the trail head which started at an unassuming concrete bridge. No signs. I soon found a sign which said Judd trail. Then I passed through a patch covered in Norfolk Pines. Felt like I went from China to the Midwest woodlands. It was a soothing and easy trail. 



Norfolk Pines in every direction on Judd trail

About a half hour into the hike, I guessed I had stumbled onto the Nu'uanu trail when it started to turn into a ridge that got steeper and narrower. Interestingly, other hikers I passed couldn't tell if they were on the Nu'uanu or Judd trail either. There were no signs. It was a little nerve wrecking seeing little trails that branched off in different directions and sometimes, there was an arrow which pointed both to the left and right. I later discovered one was a shorter and steeper route while the other was more level and longer. Either way led up to an intersection before branch off again. The red soil was extremely slippery because it had been raining the last few days. I had to constantly get a good footing so as not to slip. This ridge was extremely steep. I guessed the edge was about a 20 degree angle all the way down. 


Nu'uanu trail forest - wet, thick and mosquito infested

it would be a steep fall down this narrow Nu'uanu trail
Still, the uphill hike of Nu'uanu trail gave me quite a sweat which was the workout I needed. The Nu'uanu waterfall was a little disappointing. It was about a 50 feet long and 25 feet high with water tricking down onto the trail. The thick tropical trees made it dark and moldy looking. Some parts of the trail was a little steep and there were ropes which were supposed to help with the hike but they were wet and moldy. 


Nu'uanu trail waterfall


Stony and slippery part of Nu'uanu Trail with the ropes





Rare glimpse of the mystical Pali valley through the heavily wooded trail
This tropical forest was swarming with mosquitoes. It was impossible to stop to enjoy the view and I kept wishing I brought my repellent. This trail wasn't among the prettiest I'd seen here so far. Nevertheless, I was happy to find my way home after about 4 hours of hiking and was relieved that I had not gotten lost through all the different trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment