February 06, 2011

Grandparents

As I've grown older, I've realized how precious grandparents are. Unfortunately I never got much opportunity to spend time with mine as an adult since I was only 12 when my last grandma passed. 


I discovered my beau has the cutest little grandma who's 94 year's old so I went to visit her today at the assisted living home. She's quite a character. Most people apparently seem to have a much lower mortality rate here in Hawaii and live up to their 90s and early 100s! Must be the air, water and better quality of life. She proudly told me how she and her 5 brothers and 5 sisters were born in Hawaii between 1900 and 1920 and they all grew up to be doctors, surgeons and teachers. She was remarkably sharp for a 94 year old, even curious enough about Elton's iphone and watched attentively as we scrolled through the pictures on it, unfazed by how we were using our fingers to zoom, move and scroll through them.


Jenny's definitely got a sense of humor. Once, she cracked me up telling me how she used to know Mandarin but have forgotten it all because she preferred speaking English. This is how she said it, "I went to Chinese classes after school to learn Chinese but I gave it all back to the teacher."





No comments:

Post a Comment