February 02, 2011

Tuna, Hamachi and All Things Fishy

Fish is so fresh in Hawaii. Or maybe I lived too long in a place where they thought that fish only tasted good when it smelled rotten and stale. Hence, my affinity for anything else other than fish whilst living in Beijing. Here, my islander beau has taught me the appreciation for fresh slices of fish in the form of battered and deep fried mahi mahi, the sweetness of fatty raw hamachi sushi and last night, Poké. It's a local dish here made up of cubes of fresh sushi tuna sprinkled with slices of onion, green onion and sesame seed, drizzled with soy sauce (which here is call by its Japanese name ‘shoyu’), sesame oil and hawaiian sea salt. We topped dinner off with a glass of malbec - Elsa Bianchi from Argentina. It  was my first malbec. Won't be my last.


No comments:

Post a Comment