February 06, 2011

Waikiki

I personally do not enjoy 'tourist spots' unless it's of historical significance. I'd pick an off the beaten track route hands down anytime. Still, I decided an initial peruse of the infamous Waikiki beach should be checked off on my list of to-dos. Besides finding it a novelty to see surfers carrying their surf boards off the beach or crossing the road, it's a typical tourist spot with a lot of tacky looking souvenir stores, tourist trolleys, loud bars, hotels and honeymooning couples (I'm assuming). I'm also assuming the Japanese are the largest tour groups to Hawaii as there were Japanese words plastered everywhere. I did however find it amusing that there were older folks playing chess under the gazebos overlooking the sandbars. Was a nice reminder of a scene I'd seen only too many times in China, except they dress better and speak English. But are just as intense.



No comments:

Post a Comment