February 09, 2011

Planting Vegetables & Sprouting Tomato!

Selina is a garden enthusiast. On her lanai (balcony) garden she's potted all sorts of vegetables and herbs like lime, lemon, Thai basil, Sweet Basil, thyme, and a wide range of chinese vegetables. She'll soon to initiate me into eating fresh organic, pesticide free vegetables from her garden. I've already been picking lime, lemon, green onion and parsley from her pots for my cooking. These are some Sugar Peas, White Stem Pak Choi (Bok Choy) and Choi Sum (chinese cabbages a bit on the bitter side) about a week old. They'll be maturing just 2 weeks and ready to be picked and cooked. I've never seen them planted before. Can't wait to taste them fresh off the soil!
Choi Sum - 1 week
Choi Sum - 2 weeks
Sugar Peas - 1 week
Sugar Peas - 2 weeks
Today, I cut into a beef tomato Jesse and Selena had bought from Costco about 2 weeks ago and almost threw it out, thinking it was growing worms inside. Elton took one look at it and said it was actually sprouting! I'd never seen it before. Didn't even know it was possible for the seeds to use the juices from within itself as soil and growing from within. So I asked Selena to help me pot some of it and see if it'll grow! 

I was still going to throw the rest of it out but Elton said the magic word - live enzymes. He said it's probably bursting with enzymes if it's sprouting. I decided to try biting into it. The most bizarre thing is, it was tastier than it was 2 weeks ago when I ate another one from the same box. Do sprouted veggies taste better once sprouted? I wondered about bean sprouts and alfalfa sprouts that we use more commonly in our diet. 
Sprouts within the beefsteak tomato
3 shoots sprouted in 4 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment